How to make Chicken Pastel
This dish has a similarity with Chicken pot pie, a North American savory pie favorite, which is usually filled with cream and chicken based mixture, and topped with a savory pastry crust. Most of the time, we don’t make it with the pasty crust though. If you prefer to cook it with the crust, that’s perfectly fine. Once cooked, you can put the dish in an oven-safe bowl and put the dough on top and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Prep Time: 20-25 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 tsp galic, chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 small carrot, cubes
- 1 med potato, cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup of button mushroom, quartered if too big
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk or all purpose cream will do(i.e. Nestle cream)
- 1 pc of chorizo cut up in 1/4 inch sizes(slanted)
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Turn on stove to low fire. Put olive oil or butter in the saucepan
- Sear chicken first. Wait until browned and water dried up.(about 5 mins each side)
- Then add garlic and onion and sautee. Cook until tender
- Add chorizo, carrots, and potatoes
- Pour cream of mushroom w chicken broth in it. Stir a little bit. Add the milk
- Allow to simmer for 45 minutes. Stirring every 15 minutes or so
- Add the mushrooms and bell pepper
- Season with salt and pepper
- Let it simmer until vegetables are tender
- Serve with steam rice
1. 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), add a little more for work surface
2. 1 tsp sugar
3. 1/4 tsp fine salt
4. 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
5. 3 to 5 tbsps ice water
1. Pour the flour into a mixing bowl with the butter.
2. Mix the butter into the flour.
3. Add salt and water.
4. Mix until dough is formed.
5. Roll out on flat surface. Form the dough into a round shape a little bigger to match the size of your bowl.
6. Put on top of the oven-safe bowl with the dish in it.
7. Prick crust prior to baking for non filled baked pies.
8. Bake at 375 degrees until brown. (20-25 mins)
1. Searing the chicken first before sauteeing makes it more flavorful.
2. Butter or olive oil is optional whichever your preference.
3. If you like more spice, feel free to add more ground pepper or cayenne pepper as you wish.
4. Some people plainly use milk or cream all the way. I like to mix it with the cream of mushroom.
5. This is also good eating with bread, roti or any type of bread besides rice.
6. If you prefer to cook it with the crust, that’s perfectly fine and no need to pair it with bread. Once cooked, you can put the dish in an oven-safe bowl and put the dough on top and bake for 20-25 minutes.
“Cookery is not chemistry. It is an Art. It requires instinct and taste rather than exact measurements”. – Xavier Marcel Boulestin (French Chef)