Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 60-90 minutes
2 lbs of pork butt or loin cut n cubes or strips is preferred
1/2 lb of pork liver cut in cubes
1 tbsp. of minced garlic
1 medium onion chopped
2 tomatoes sliced
1 small red bell peppers cut in strips 1small green pepper cut in strips
2 potatoes sliced in small cubes
1 carrot sliced in small cubes
1 tbsp. of raisins
1/2 c. of sweet peas
1/2 c. garbanzos (chick peas), optional
1/4 c. of tomato paste
2 bay leaf
2 tbsp. of olive oil
1 tsp soy sauce
1/4 c. of vegetable oil (if you’re going to fry the potatoes; see notes below)
2 cups meat broth or water
salt and pepper to taste
For the marinate: 3 tbsp lemon juice and 2 tbsp soy sauce
– Marinate pork for at least 15-30 minutes in lemon/calamansi and soy sauce mixture.
– In a casserole, heat the olive oil. Over medium-high heat, brown pork pieces until the meat is no longer pink. Set aside on the casserole. Add the garlic and chopped onions, tomatoes until cooked well.
– Add the tomato paste, 1 tbsp soy sauce, bay leaf and 2 cups of water/broth. Season with salt and pepper.
– Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for an hour or until pork is tender. Check the amount of liquid once in a while. Add more broth or water, if necessary, about half a cup at a time. When the pork is tender, increase the heat to medium-low and add the liver cubes. Cook for another 20 minutes. Add cooked potato and carrot cubes, sweet peas and diced bell pepper. Adjust the seasonings. Stir to distribute ingredients. Serve over rice.
– Adding a sweet dill pickle is an option. You can substitute this in place of raisins. Cut up in cubes or strips
– Eliminating liver is fine if you don’t eat liver. Can use liver spread also to make it thicker and more flavorful.
– Frying potato and carrots are optional.